Demo not compiling

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Hi Tomasz,

Great stuff! It makes handling jqGrid a lot easier, thanks!
A small issue: the demo doesn't compile using the latest Microsoft components.

Regards,
Gerard
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Edited Sep 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Hi Gerard,

Can you specify to which demo project you are refering exactly? And what is the configuration you would like to run it on? At the current point most of the demos are running with:
  • Visual Studio 2010 or 2012
  • ASP.NET MVC 3
  • .Net Framework 4.0
But most of them should be updatable to higher version with no issue. I will look into specific demo you need.

Regards,
Tomasz Pęczek
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Hi Tomasz,

I downloaded the demo from https://tpeczek.codeplex.com/releases/view/62741 (perhaps an old version...).
Using VS2012 (update 3), ASP.NET.MVC 4 & .Net Framework 4.0
One of the problems seems to be that (using System.Data.Entity.)__ModelConfiguration__ doesn't exist anymore.
Hope there will be an easy way to get a working demo!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
Gerard
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Hi Gerard,

That is strange as System.Data.Entity.ModelConfiguration namespace exists since Entity Framework 5. Which version of Entity Framework you are using in your project and what is the exact error message from compiler?

Regards,
Tomasz Pęczek
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM
C:...\packages\EntityFramework.5.0.0\lib\net45\EntityFramework.dll (so 5.0 & .Net 4.5, I guess?)
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I would expect an issue with some other parts but not with the EF - this seems strange as the latest version is being used. I will perform the upgrade for this project in repository later today, if everything will go fine I'll let you know where you can download the upgraded version.
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Great thanks! Learning from a working example is (for me) easier than reading (lots of) documentation.
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Hi Gerard,

I have made it through update proces without any issues so I can't confirm anything you were hitting (especially Entity Framework as the project was using latest one already).

I have updated the downloads in the release with the updated version (all the updates are listed at the end of description): https://tpeczek.codeplex.com/releases/view/62741.

Regards,
Tomasz Pęczek
Sep 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Hi Tomasz,

Did a retry from and downloaded the demo from https://tpeczek.codeplex.com/releases/view/62741. Conversion, opening the solution with VS2012, works fine. But compiling the code yields 12 errors. The first is: Error 1 The type or namespace name 'ModelConfiguration' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Data.Entity' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\...\Demo\Northwind.Repositories.Entity\NorthwindContext.cs 7 26 Northwind.Repositories.Entity

Added EntityFramework (NuGet), no effect

Replaced 'ModelConfiguration' by ‘Infrastructure’ but also the last does not exist…

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Gerard

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Hi Gerard,

I will do a retry on completly clean VM, but I think there must somethign weird going with your references or NuGet packages. I'll let you know if found something.

Regards,
Tomasz Pęczek
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Hi Gerard,

I've managed to recreate your issue. It's source is still unknown to me, but this is how I solved it:
  1. Right click on project Northwind.Repositories.Entity
  2. Choose "Manage NuGet Packages..."
  3. On the left side of dialog window choose "Installed packages"
  4. In the list you should see EntityFramework - click the Uninstall buton on it.
  5. On the left side of dialog window choose "Online"
  6. Find the EntityFrameworkand click Install buton
Now I don't know why NuGet package restore is not downloading package properly. After this operation the project has builded as it should.
Sep 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Hi Tomasz,

Great job! How did you find this trick? Guess it would have took me days to find it.

Thanks for your support!

Regards Gerard